The John Flynn College provides James Cook University students with a unique combination of living and learning that far surpasses any single dormitory experience.
Set amongst the stunning natural style of the vibrant North Queensland region, JFC offers superior accommodation options in a centralised location right on the JCU campus.
Whilst living at the College, residents are strongly encouraged to adhere to the bounds of social tolerance and friendly interaction to ensure the smooth running of the JFC community.
The college accommodates full-time undergraduate and graduate students in fully furnished single rooms arranged in groups (called “decks”) of 12 or less sharing a lounge area, kitchenette and bathroom facilities.
The residential decks provide an intimate social and intellectual community atmosphere, which allows students to quickly come to know one another as colleagues, roommates and friends. The residential decks are made up of a combination of both female and male students, variety of disciplines and variety of year levels with a number of rooms being made available on every deck for first year students. There are also opportunities for casual or short-term residence for visitors to the University.
Supplied in all rooms – Standard, Cluster and Shared Ensuite
- Book case
- Built in wardrobe with draws and hanging space
- Overhead fan
- Bed linen supplied weekly (residents are expected to supply their own pillow and Pillowcase, towels and toiletries
- Ethernet connection to the University networks. Cables are not supplied.
- WiFi is only available in the main Dining Areas, Conference Room and Tutorial Rooms. Residence are advised that the use of any other wireless hub or devices (including wireless set up on printers) is strictly prohibited. The use of these devices may block your internet connection due to the JCU internet security.
- Hand Basin
Shared Ensuite Room
- Hand Basin
- Ensuite shared between two students (same gender)
- Bathrooms in the standard and cluster decks are all shared cubicle style bathrooms with an average of three showers and two toilet per deck (12 students) .
- Ensuite rooms have a bathroom with shower and toilet shared between two students.
Please be aware that not all Standard and Cluster rooms are air-conditioned. Approximately 70% of these rooms are air-conditioned. All Shared Ensuite rooms have air-conditioning however no room preference is guaranteed.
A number of quality facilities further enhance residential living at our College. These include:
- Air-conditioned dining room with piano
- Computers with laser printers and internet access for those who do not have their own computer in the JCR
- Junior and Senior Common Rooms provide recreational areas with TV, VCR, DVD, pool table and table tennis table
- Coin-operated washing machines on ground floors
- Beach volleyball court
- Basketball hoop and backboard
- College Gym with a part-time Gym assistant
- Music Room
- Tutorial Rooms